Book by Marcus T. Wright – Paradox of the Learning Game: The Promise and Plight of Video Games and Learning
The excitement around the potential of video games as sources for learning has never been greater. Developments in digital and computer technology have magnified the creativity and availability of advanced learning games—which are games that take significant advantage of the video game medium for transferable learning experiences.
In Paradox of the Learning Game: The Promise and Plight of Video Games and Learning, Marcus T. Wright highlights the potential of the video game medium as a tool for learning, while exploring some of the social and industry challenges that limit the success of advanced learning games. This book not only serves as an introduction to the power of video games as learning resources, but also as a call for video games and learning advocates to carefully consider several deep-rooted challenges that could negatively impact the future of this learning technology.
Marcus T. Wright’s Past Writing and Communications Work
- Wright, Marcus. 2021. “Generation-Blindness and the COVID-19 Websites of Highly Selective Universities.” Penn Education and Inequality Working Papers, #7. https://repository.upenn.edu/education_inequality_workshop/7
- Leveraging Digital Games in the Diversified Classroom.” Penn Almanac. Feb. 2020.
- Are you more excited for ‘Arkham Knight’ or ‘Batman v. Superman’?
- Top bite from ‘Shark Tank’: Getting a deal when the Sharks say no
- Why the ‘Madden NFL’ covers are more than just box art
- 4 reasons why we’ll always love ‘Street Fighter’
- 3 reasons ABC’s ‘Beyond the Tank’ works
- Best bite from ‘Shark Tank’: The entrepreneur’s dilemma
- Best bite from ‘Shark Tank’: ‘Our sales suck.’
- ‘Beyond the Tank’: 5 reasons to anticipate the ‘Shark Tank’ spinoff
- Top bites from ‘Shark Tank’: How to make Mr. Wonderful huggable
- Top bites from ‘Shark Tank’: Tales of a fourth-grade entrepreneur
- Top bites from ‘Shark Tank’: ‘One of the best’ entrepreneurs ever?
- Top bites from ‘Shark Tank’: Yes to the dress(es)!
- Top bites from ‘Shark Tank’: Fear the beard!
- Top bites from ‘Shark Tank’: Biggest. Shark fight. Ever.
- ‘Shark Tank fan recap: Would you listen to Mark’s offer?
- ‘Shark Tank’ fan recap: Answer Lori’s question!
- ‘Shark Tank’ fan recap: Cell phone or public toilet?
- ‘Shark Tank’ recap: Foam cakes, wobbly tables, and smelly clothes!
- NMC Horizon report gives a glimpse of PBL future
- Pack your headphones for these final exams.
- Project-based learning – what’s the bigger picture?
- The hard question of equity, access, and PBL
- Is failure a positive result in PBL?
- Using student work to backward design PBL
- How schools can help students solve real-life problems
- Kids can design video games to power-up PBL
- Should school districts open incubators for project-based learning?
- Where in the world are you?
- What project-based learning is doing for students at Oskaloosa High School.”
- Digital learning games must be more than skinner boxes
- Let’s create the ‘Metal Gear Solid’ of digital learning games.
- ‘Whiplash’ review: Simmons fascinates in villainous turn
- “Music: Beautiful. Inspirational. The Piano Guys.”
- “A Q&A with Latina Journalist and Multimedia Dynamo, Nino Terrero.”
- “Speak 180: Why is Game-Based Learning Good for Today’s Youth?”
- “Why You Should Go Play After Reading This – A Q&A with Kevin Carroll.”
- “Tony Dungy on Uncommon Marriage and Life After Coaching.”
- “Success: What is Your Definition?”
- “Lindsey Stirling: The Phenom with the Violin.”
- “Teens, Social Media, and a Q&A with It’s Complicated Author, danah boyd.”
- “Rise of the Super-Digital Native.” March 2014
- “We Have What we Need: The Next Steps in Education Technology.”
- “Trial, Error & Discovery: iOS7 and the Changes to Apple’s Digital Learning Environment.” September 2013
- “Alex’s Lemonade Stand as a Learning Environment.” September 2013
- “How Far are we from the First Educational Video Game Console for the Home?” July 2013
- “The Importance of Learning Environment Design.” June 2013
- “Moocs: A Design Question to Consider.” April 2013
- “Why we must Learn from the Learners.” March 2013
Wired Innovation Insights:
- “Pondering the Future of Learning.” August 2014
- “Pondering the Future of Informal Education.” August 2014
- Wright, Marcus T., Perch A., Eddy, E., Hall, J., Mangal, S., Smith, E. “Cogs and Considerations for Learning Environment Design in the 21st Century.” Leaders in Education Advocacy & Reform Network, University of Pennsylvania. September 2013
University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education Admissions:
- “Interview with Nikki Adeli, High School Junior from Science Leadership Academy.” Penn GSE Admissions Blog. April 2014
- “Interview with Penn GSE Dean, Andrew Porter.” Penn GSE Admissions Blog. April 2013
- “Interview with Daphne Koller, Co-Founder of Coursera.” Penn GSE Admissions Blog. March 2013
Major Websites Edited:
- University of Pennsylvania Department of Sociology (current)
- African Independence, an award-winning documentary by Dr. Tukufu Zuberi (2012/13)
Videos Shot, Edited and Produced:
- University of Pennsylvania Department of Sociology E. Digby Baltzell Thesis Award presentation
- University of Pennsylvania Department of Sociology Undergraduate Video Interview 1
- University of Pennsylvania Department of Sociology Undergraduate Video Interview 2
- Philadelphia High School Sports Highlights (Varsity 365)